Christian Legal Society (CLS) is an association of Christians dedicated to serving Jesus Christ through the practice and study of law, the defense of religious freedom and life, and the provision of legal aid to the needy.
We are committed to acting justly, loving mercy, and walking humbly with their God (Micah 6:8).
Founded in 1961, CLS defends the religious liberties of all Americans in the legislatures and the courts and serves those most in need in our society through Christian Legal Aid.
By inspiring, encouraging, and equipping Christian lawyers and law students, both individually and in community, to proclaim, love, and serve Jesus Christ through the study and practice of law, the provision of legal assistance to the poor and needy, and the defense of the inalienable rights to life and religious freedom, we are fulfilling the command of Micah 6:8 and ensuring the next generation of Americans has the same opportunities to share their faith in community.
- To proclaim Jesus as Lord through all we do;
- To defend the religious liberty of all Americans through the legislatures and courts;
- To defend the religious liberty of students to gather on their campuses as Christian organizations;
- To promote justice for the poor, religious liberty, sanctity of human life, and biblical conflict resolution;
- To encourage Christian lawyers to view law as a ministry and help them integrate faith and their legal practice;
- To provide Christian lawyers a means of society and fellowship;
- To encourage and disciple Christian law professors and students;
- To provide a forum for discussing issues related to Christianity and the law;
- To encourage lawyers and law students to serve the poor and needy.